Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Skin Food For Thought

Did you know your skin absorbs 60% of what you put on it?
I have been wanting to write this post for a while, hoping to pass on some of the things I've learned over the last year or two about what we put on our skin. I started thinking about it initially because I was hoping to make some changes in my life to eliminate unwanted exposure to chemicals and toxins that often come in surprisingly appealing packages. I was particularly aware that in the upcoming years I would want to have a baby and wanted to give him or her the best growing environment possible! I also wanted to be sure not to use lotions and washes on them that could be potentially harmful. These reasons spurred the idea of creating my own botanically-based all natural products.
I knew it would require a lot of research before I could even begin to formulate. I needed to understand what all those complicated words on the ingredients list actually meant. You'd be surprised, a few things that sound like potentially hazardous chemicals are actually natural! Tocopherol Acetate, for example, is just the chemical name for Vitamin E. But more often than not, they are harmful chemicals, usually found at the end of the list where ingredients of lesser quantity are found, such as preservatives.  I put a list at the end of this post of things to steer clear of.
I also wanted to know more about botanicals and what they can do, and wow! You would think it would be a finite list of general benefits that come from generally healthy foods and herbs. But I found that each plant/flower/fruit/or seed has it's own unique benefits to offer. Just a few examples:


Raspberry oil - a natural sunscreen
Yucca extract - combats hair loss
White Tea extract - powerful anti-ageing properties
Hemp Oil - especially effective for healing dry scalp or dandruff
Pineapple and Kiwi - non-abrasive exfoliants. Both have enzymes that break down dead skin cells.


I studied a number of natural product companies that I admire, researched their ingredient lists for all kinds of products, their philosophy and ingredient sourcing. A few companies I found especially admirable for their across the board commitment to not only great natural ingredients, but also eco-friendly packaging, and supporting fair-trade communities are: AvedaOriginsAesop, and Burt's BeesI also was disappointed to discover that several shops I knew to have great lotions that boasted wonderfully natural ingredients were actually full of all the things I am now trying to avoid. I was so sad to walk into The Body Shop - who make a big deal about their natural ingredients, only to find parabens and silicas galore on all the ingredient lists. I hope they start transitioning because I love, love, love their coconut body butter!
I also found the most amazing natural skin care products in New Zealand. Aveda and Origins are incredible, but also expensive. I do think some of these companies ship overseas though, so if you're interested, have a look at these: Tebe and Olive, Pure Source, and Wild Ferns.
Suncare - You have to have sunscreen. This presents a problem. A hat only goes so far and especially if you're at the pool, the beach, or working outside, a good cream is important. But studies are showing that the common chemical sunscreens used in nearly all sunscreen products, while blocking the sun, are actually powerful free-radical generators which leads to aging and cancer initiation. They are also estrogen mimics which can cause a host of trouble. Luckily PABA, the worst offender, has been removed from products, but most still contain one or more of these - Benzophenones (dixoybenzone, oxybenzone)Cinnamates (including octocrylene)Salicylates, and Avobenzone. The EU has banned the use of most of these chemical sunscreens, but they are still used widely in the US. Zinc Oxide is a completely natural, physical sunblock that works, but it's not very attractive.  You've all seen the guy with the blue nose at the beach. However this excellent company has developed a zinc-based natural sunscreen and moisturizer line that is transparent. Great for the pool, the beach, and they even have daily sunblocking moisturizers with a light tint. As an added benefit, Zinc oxide does a far better job at blocking UVA rays than chemical blocks. I recommend checking it out: www.invisiblezinc.com It can't hurt to look for other "invisible zinc" products too. This is the original, but other companies are picking up on it.

I suppose I could write a book, or maybe start a separate blog, but I just wanted to get my family and friends thinking about it if nothing else. It's one thing to say, hey, don't use that, and quite another to offer a great alternative. I expected natural products to be far less superior in performance than my usual things. But I've found it to be the opposite. My skin has been noticeably healthier and much less prone to blemishes since switching to all-natural skin products. And it took a while to make the full conversion. It costs too much to buy everything at once. I had some great advice from a woman in Taupo, New Zealand. She said, start with changing the more important things - like your daily moisturizer and cleanser or even lip balm. Things your skin is exposed to the most often. Then gradually replace other things as they run out and you have to get something new anyway.


When I get my own line started I'll let you know :) In the meantime, if you want any more info, or want product recommendations, please send me a note!
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Things to avoid and look for instead:


Parabens - (methyl-, propyl-, butyl- and ethyl- parabens) are very common preservatives found in skin care products. Although they are found in nature they are hormonal mimics and disrupt hormonal levels. They also contribute to increased tumor growth. There are many natural alternatives to use, and I've noticed many companies are starting to incorporate them and label their products as "paraben free". Look for natural preservatives like Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, rosemary leaf extract and grapefruit seed extract.


Mineral Oil - Minerals are great, mineral oil, not so great. Most high-end cosmetics use mineral oils such as paraffin and petrolatum as moisturizing agents because they are cheap and chemically stable. Mineral oils simply coat the skin, rather than absorbing, which keeps the skin from breathing and also leads to clogged pores. They are also petroleum based, so avoiding them not only is better for your skin, but as a side bonus means you aren't feeding the oil industry.


Silicas - Methicone and dimethicone (really anything with -icone) are synthetic emollients which, like mineral oils, inhibit the skin's ability to release toxins and are also non-biodegradable and potentially toxic.

SLS and SLES - Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is widely used in skin care products because it produces a rich foam and is inexpensive to make. Unfortunately it's a major irritant, it breaks down proteins and can cause skin and eye damage. It is also easily absorbed through skin into the bloodstream, where it can cause more damage. Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) is less irritating, but carcinogenic. Not only this, but a by-product of its manufacture is Dioxane, a major environmental toxin, which comes back to hit us a second time, most likely through food consumption.

3 comments:

mamapickle said...

I love all this info. and you have done a lot of research!

Marcie said...

I LOVE THESE POSTS!!! Thank you so much. WHat are you feelings on Mineral Makeup? My favorite products come from Orgins. It is awsome. It really isn't to expensive compared to the other stuff sold at department stores. I haven't once been disspointed. I am a huge fan and drive almost to Salt Lake to get Orgins. It is really popular in CO. Keep the information coming.

Reisdorfer Ramblings said...

Great Blog! I love jojoba oil for skin & hair!